Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Meet Photographer Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith joins us for the third year in a row as a Featured Artist. Ryan is known for his beautiful photos of local sites, particularly downtown Rome and Berry College. Ryan will be set up outside in front of the Seven Hills Building so be sure to visit his booth before you step inside!

Ryan Smith, Rome, GA


 Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself. 
I grew up near Atlanta and moved to Rome in 1996 when I started school at Berry. After graduating, I started to work for the Rome News-Tribune and I've been here ever since.

Q: Please describe your work. What makes it different from other art in the same field?
I really enjoying trying to capture a fairly normal subject in a new way. I spend a lot of time on composition and I want to show you a new perspective.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about the process your work goes through?
I'm always experimenting and trying something new. It's really easy to get in a funk as an artist and it is really difficult to get out of it. The key is to keep challenging yourself.

Q: What prompted you to become and artist?
I never really considered myself as an artist until more recently even though I've been doing photography for a long time. I worked for the newspaper for a long time and I realized that a lot of my work focused on composition and perspective. I wanted to use that focus on photos I wanted to take.



Q: What is one of the biggest failures you have faced as an artist?
Self doubt.

Q: What is one of your biggest successes as an artist?
I've been accepted into some art festivals I never expected to get into.

Q: Aside from creating, what is another passion of yours?
I love watching movies and hanging out with friends.


Q: Please share some humor you have found in your artistic endeavors.
I have a nice foam floor I use during some of my art festivals. I've had a few people walk into my booth and say, "WOW!" Of course I'm excited that they love my photography. And then they say, "Where did you get this floor?"

So if you want to see a really cool floor you can come to the Starving Artist and check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Working with Ryan at the paper since he started, I've watched grow from a good photo journalist into an amazing fine arts photographer I am just awed by what he does now, and can't even imagine what may come next, but I'm sure it will just get better, and more exciting!

    ReplyDelete