Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Meet Gail Baxter

Gail Baxter is joining us for the first time this year as a Featured Artist. Gail will have her unique bead woven jewelry on display and you won't want to miss her at the show!


Gail Baxter, Lindale, GA
Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself. 
I am the middle of 3 sisters, raised in Rochester, NY.

Q: Please describe your work. What makes it different from other art in the same field?
My work is bead woven jewelry and ornaments.  It goes beyond simple bead stringing as bead weaving involves making intricate patterns of multiple beads to construct finished products.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about the process your work goes through?
Bead weaving is an art that uses needle (sometimes 2 needles) and thread.  You take beads and using different stitches and patterns create your necklace, bracelet or earring.  Patterns go from simple to very complex.

Q: What prompted you to become and artist?
I have always loved craftwork of all kinds.  I learned crochet, knitting and embroidery as a child.  My sister introduced me to beading in May 2012.  It has been a love affair since then.  What a great way to have jewelry to wear with each outfit, or to have the perfect gift individualized to each friend's taste and personality.



Q: What is one of the biggest failures you have faced as an artist?
I had a show where I sold 1 pair of earrings :(  That was a bummer to say the least.

Q: What is one of your biggest successes as an artist?
Having a jewelry shop owner buy 3 pieces and tell me my attention to detail in my work was extraordinary.

Q: Aside from creating, what is another passion of yours?
Music - singing and piano.

Q: Please share some humor you have found in your artistic endeavors.
Many customers after examining my work ask me "However do you do this?"  My answer is usually "one bead at a time" :)

Q: Is there anything else you would like to share with us about you?
My beadwork has brought me hours of pleasure, many new experiences and friends I treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment