Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Meet Phil Ward


Phil is a woodworker in Rome, GA that you can find at several shows in Northwest Georgia. His wife Lois is with him every step of the way making recommendations, booking shows and reminding him to be patient. Phil is joining the Starving Artist Expo as a featured artist for the first time this year.

Phil Ward of Rome, Ga


Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself. Do you come from a big family? Are you from the south? Do you speak another language?
I come from a family of 2 kids and am from the south. I speak southernease.

Q: Please describe your work. What makes it different from other art in the same field?
I make turned items from scrap wood or firewood.  I never a duplicate piece, God designed all this beautiful grain in the wood and you never know what beauty you will find once the item is turned and even more beautiful when finished and the grains are so evident.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about the process your work goes through?
My work goes through a series of steps including cutting, drying, shaping, attaching to the lathe and turning into a gorgeous bowl, pot, vase, coffee scoop, birdhouse, ornament, etc. and then finally the finishing.

Q: What prompted you to become and artist?
My love of wood and what it can become instead of being thrown into the fireplace, stove, campfire, etc.

Q: What is one of the biggest failures you have faced as an artist?
When a piece of wood is on the lathe and beginning to look like a beautiful item and it flies off the lathe and breaks into a lot of pieces. Heartbreak!!!

Q: What is one of your biggest successes as an artist?
To have someone come up to me and tell me what pieces of mine they have and how much they enjoy it daily.  Some have a number of pieces and want others when I can find the right wood.

Q: Aside from creating, what is another passion of yours?
Baseball

Q: Please share some humor you have found in your artistic endeavors. 
I throw scraps into the biggg trash can and I see Lois,my wife, on her tiptoes digging & bringing out pieces she see beauty in that can be turned into something different and very useful.  I laugh and then it is no joke because it turns out beautiful and useful.  Miss Dumpster Diver she is.



Q: Is there anything else you would like to share with us about you?
I'm the blindest woodturner in Ga., I think.  I am legally blind.

And here is a little more, from Phil himself.




No comments:

Post a Comment