Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Meet Sasha Egorova

Sasha Egorova joins the Starving Artist Expo for the third time this year as an executive planning committee member as well as a Featured Artist. Sasha and show director, Lisa Ingram have worked together in the corporate setting and in the art world, with their loves of graphic design, marketing, art and business mingling together to create inspirational and beautiful results. Sasha will be displaying her beautiful still life oil on canvas paintings at the expo. She also lends her talents to the expo as the lead graphic designer for the event. As a Russian Rome transplant living in Atlanta, Sasha still finds her heart bringing her back to Rome time and time again.

Sasha Egorova, Atlanta, GA
Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself. Do you come from a big family? Are you from the south? Do you speak another language?
I grew up in the big busy city with lots of noise, hundreds of museums, surrounded by art and beautiful old architecture. When I came to the United States I immediately fell in love with little cute southern towns, especially Rome. It provided me with truly nurturing environment where my inspiration bloomed. The inspiration for my art comes from vibrant colors of the South: cherry blossoms in the spring, azaleas that fill the air with sweetness, juicy watermelons and many other wonderful things.

I speak three languages, which I use in different times: English is for business, Russian is for secrets and Spanish is for beauty. I would like to learn few more.

My family is not that big, but when three generations gather in the tiny apartment kitchen for afternoon tea and conversation with dog and the cat present there is no space for anything else.

Q: Please describe your work. What makes it different from other art in the same field?
I like using different mediums for my paintings. In each of them I use at least three different ones: charcoal, acrylic and oil, they help to achieve the vibrant colors which are one of the main qualities of my art.


Q: Can you tell us a little bit about the process your work goes through?
Usually the most of the process happens in my head before the painting is produced. I complete it in my mind before my brush touches the paint. When I know exactly how I want everything to look I just let it flow out of me. I create few sketches of the composition, then turn on my favorite music and let my mind wonder away from the painting while my hands are working on it. I would say it's almost unconscious.


Q: What prompted you to become and artist?
When I was a little girl I was always told that I can not make a living by being an artist, so I guess I'm  proving the opposite by doing what I really love.

Q: What is one of the biggest failures you have faced as an artist?
You can fail and rise as an artist a couple of times while creating one painting, but it's always between you and your art.

Q: What is one of your biggest successes as an artist?
I sold my first painting when I was 12 years old in the country wide exhibit of the young artists. It was my first experience negotiating the price for my art and it felt amazing. That was the biggest push to become an artist.

Q: Aside from creating, what is another passion of yours?
Ask me at the exhibition it might be something different, but for now I'm into healthy cooking, exercising and I'm absolutely addicted to my water aerobics class. My other guilty pleasure is traveling and exploring, even at home I always move my desk around to get a new prospective on things.




Q: Please share some humor you have found in your artistic endeavors.
People asked me if I'm a vegetarian because I paint so many still lives with fruit and vegetables.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to share with us about you?
I'm very inspired by the Starving Artist Expo success and hope one day we will celebrate our 10 year anniversary.

Graphic Design by Sasha Egorova

No comments:

Post a Comment