Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Meet Katherine Crouse

Katherine Crouse joins the Starving Artist Expo for the first time this year with her beautiful life like oil paintings. Katherine is a passionate artist that grew up loving art. She dabbles in several other artistic endeavors for fun, which you can read about in her interview below.

Katherine Crouse, Cumming Ga

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself. Do you come from a big family? Are you from the south? Do you speak another language?

Being born in Chisinau, Moldova, I moved to the USA 8 years ago. What brought me to US?- my husband, my true love! We met in Moldova and got married in Rome, GA. I must say, I love the south. People here are so friendly and so welcoming.

Art was a part of my great interests since a very young age. I loved to sketch in my copy books instead of doing mathematics. And this little hobby turned into a great desire for studying it much deeper and taking it to the next level. There in Moldova I got a Bachelors Degree in Interior Design and Fine Arts and a second Degree in Foreign Languages. As for the languages I speak English, Russian and Romanian.


Q: Please describe your work. What makes it different from other art in the same field?
I remeber, when in my years of university, studying the painting (as one of the must objects), my teacher always was telling me that I was "too graphic" as an artist. And the other teachers who would lead the objects of Design, Architecture, and Drawing would defend me, approving the realistic approach. Since then I knew that my art will aways look different from others when it comes to painting. The difficulty level of creating something that looks real is quite high. And it takes a lot of desire, perseverence and patience to achieve the best results.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about the process your work goes through?
One of my favorite techniques is the Flemish technique. The layering process, which is being different every week, allows the object of interest to become alive, more real looking.


Q: What prompted you to become and artist?
Two main factors: first, love for the art in general. I consider myself of being an artist when I chose to be an Interior Designer. Second, I had a lot of free wall space in my own house, which prompted me to create something personal and special for myself and my family. So, when it comes to oil paintings, it really started with my walls.

Q: What is one of the biggest failures you have faced as an artist?
My biggest failure is the wasted time, that can never be returned. I always feel tremendous guilt when I know that I have a certain day available for working on my art, and I don't do it.

Q: What is one of your biggest successes as an artist?
Perhaps it is the same biggest success of the most artists - knowing and seeing others enjoy your creation.

Q: Aside from creating, what is another passion of yours?
I love art and all that includes in it. Photography and jewelry making are some of my present attractions.

Q: Please share some humor you have found in your artistic endeavors.
Yes... my husband who, in general is not a great lover of cabbage, once saw the sketch of my new work  and asked me with an interesting expression on his face, "Are you painting a cabbage?"  Well, no, it was a flower after all.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to share with us about you?
I am very excited and grateful to be a part of this wonderful experience. For me to get together with other talented people, who choose to work on their given ability, choose to develop it, and then share it with others is very special. At the end of the day, I always learn something new from such people. Therefore, I want to express a big thank you to Lisa Ingram and all those who helped her make this project happen!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! A third Russian speaker in the Starving Artists Expo ;)

    ReplyDelete